Transplant

I've wanted to write about this for such a long time, but it's really difficult to explain. It's like being back at school and a teacher telling me to write a persuasive essay and me being a little dumbfounded at the thought. So please, bear with me, I'm a little startled.

Tomorrow I have an appointment in Glasgow which I've been terrified about for weeks. Every person I've spoken to about it tells me "prepare yourself", "it's a scary appointment", "they're going to tell you a lot of overwhelming things". Now this makes me uneasy, previously I've suffered with severe anxiety and throughout this hospital journey I've surprisingly been free from any worry and anxious thoughts. I'm slightly concerned that this appointment could throw me back over the edge. (I will let you know in my next blog post if I am over the edge and need a little TLC.)

The appointment is to discuss my stem cell transplant. Now this transplant could have easily went one of two ways. I could have a donor match or I couldn't have a donor match. From being in TCT, I've met a lot of young people who do not have a donor match. So not only are they ill and fighting for their lives every single day, they also are actively looking and hoping for a donor.

I had a one in four chance that my sister would be a a match for me. I found out a while ago that she In fact is a 100% match for me and yesterday we got a letter through the door saying she is fit and healthy enough to donate to me. How lucky is that? Not only to have a match but a 100% sibling match is incredibly lucky.

Although I've won the luck of the draw many, many people out there in the exact same position as me are still matchless. I'm writing this to try to encourage you to look into donation of your stem cells.

Why would you? It's completely true, why would you go through the process (a simple one mind) and give up your time. You might not have even heard of the stem cell process and I completely understand that it is a lot to ask of someone. Going through a medical procedure (a small one mind) at the best of times is not enjoyable but at the end of the line you save a life. Save a life blah blah it doesn't really punch anymore. Donating stem cells and matching with someone stops that person from dying. You are giving life. Which I believe is the best thing you can ever do.

Have a little read about it!

16-30? Register at www.anthonynolan.org/join
Over 30? Register at https://www.dkms.org.uk/en/register-now


Comments

  1. Good luck Rachel. Our nine year old son is also soon to have a stem cell transplant so found your perspective insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck Rachel. It is overwhelming but it's important for you to know the facts. My husband is almost 2 years post transplant (29th July 2015) and he's so well. We can't thank Anthony Nolan for the invaluable work they did finding a donor for him. I would give every cell in my body, if I could, to help save someone's life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachel, I really hope your blog raises awareness of this. Today I had a bone marrow harvest to hopefully help someone who I assume I'll never meet. My question would be why wouldn't people help out if they are able as it's not really a great deal of time out of my life and hopefully it will change someone else's life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Rachel. I'm 24 and 4 weeks post transplant. I ended up having to source my donor from Germany. I have nothing but respect for people who register and donate, a complete stranger has meant that I've gone from under a year life expectancy to hopefully being able to live a full and healthy life. It's an incredible thing, and anthony nolan do an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Its Chemo Time

THE ULTIMATE RANT

So This Is a lil Bit Hard To Write...