Run with Rachel

Before I went into hospital, believe it or not, I was training for a half marathon with Forth one and Romeo in Demand. The first day we went out training I reeeeally embarassed myself....I'll tell you for why....
Do hands get anymore awkward than this?
















When we started running I noticed I was out of breath. Now, I don't mean walking up a few flights of stairs out of breath, I mean chocking/close to spewing/I might keel over/hold my hair back whilst I heave kind of out of breath.Of course at the time I thought this was just because I was massively unfit and this kind of activity was totally unsuitable and inappropriate for me. So I told a big fat lie.

About five minutes into the run I was panting like a sloth and dragging way behind the other sprinters who were now striding down Princes Street. I wasn't about to be named the most unfit person in the group so I faked an injury. 

Before the panting and the heaving
I started to walk and limp. A few noticed I had began limping down the street and stopped to help me. I demanded a cast a for my twisted knee bone and ended up on my back with my legs elevated on a sofa in the forth one reception. Embarrassing? That would be a resounding yes.

Anyway it turns out the reason why I didn't feel right running was because I had leukemia, I just didn't know it yet.
SO let me get round to why I am actually writing this. I have been training for the Edinburgh half marathon which is happening this May! I've also just bought the spiciest trainers that have even happened.


When I got out of hospital I found it difficult to run again because I presumed that every time I ran out of breath it was because I had leukemia again.

Going from not being able to run for more than a minute to running for about two hours will be really challenging for me but AM DAIN IT. I have chosen to run for Leukemia and Lymphoma Research and I want to raise as much as I possibly can for them. I originally set my goal as £300 then someone told me that was way too much and I'd never get that many sponsors... okay then lets make that 500? 1000? Any amount of money that I can make for this amazing charity to beat blood cancers is 100% worth it.

I am running this half marathon in memory of two special people who I knew I could turn to whilst I was getting my treatment when nobody else really understood; Jemma Valentine and Christopher Coutts.

Jemma lost her fight with leukemia in June 2014. She was put into remisson on Valentines Day and had just started to plan her wedding when she got the heartbreaking news that her cancer had returned, she was told that she only had weeks to live and sadly never got the chance to walk down the isle. 
In the picture, Jemma and her son Archie B.
Jemma was my lifesaver, she told me where to get all my crazy wigs and eyelashes, without her I literally would have been a pair of fishnet tights away from looking like Amanda Bynes!
Jemma started her treatment about a month before me so we went through a lot of the same stages together and were often in the same ward together for treatment. We talked and gossiped a lot and I can easily say she was one of the most honest, lovely and most glamorous girl I've ever met. Without her being there to relate to and chat to my hospital journey would have been even more difficult.

 I met Chris one day when I was traipsing up and down the corridor like a caged animal. He walked out of his hospital room with his mum and dad and he told me he was getting to go home! I had heard  a lot about Chris from all the nurses, I'm pretty sure I had stalked him on Facebook and added him before we even met. (Let me hear you say creepy Rachel!) Anyway, we got a proper chance to catch up one day and what struck me was how easily he could talk about cancer. At the time I could barely say the word without welling up and needing several tissues. Chris was a tough cookie had been through various different and grueling treatments for years and suffered a lot from the side effects of his treatments. Chris taught me all the ins and outs of the hospital and treatment, he inspired me to keep as happy as possible. Chris was incredibly down to earth, hilarious and kind and he also brought me lots of chocolates and cakes!!

Even when he was told that his body couldn't handle anymore treatments Chris still didn't give up; "I want to be that 'miracle' that you hear about, that person that keeps fighting against all odds, and comes out winning."

Chris (on the right) with his Dad
Chris' family have set up a wonderful charity in his name The Cookie Jar Foundation

I feel so privileged to have been able to call these two amazing people friends. Words fail me when I try to express how hard they both fought their battles with this awful disease. No one should have to go through cancer especially young people with their wholes lives ahead of them. 

I know we get asked to part with our monies all the time for charity. I don't really know how to persuade you to sponsor me except from saying pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!! (Also its payday soon) (just saying) (good deeds) (love you) (hehe)

Please visit my Just Giving Page if you would like to sponsor me https://www.justgiving.com/Rachelrobynslaird/

Comments

  1. Hi Rachel, I have just came across your blog on the Daily Mirror. Like you I am also an AML survivor and chose to write a blog to help raise awareness. I got a spark of excitement when I found your blog and am now probably going to sit here for the rest of the afternoon and read through it.
    I wanted to leave a message just to say...Well done for kicking ass!!
    ASpoonFULLOfSugar

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have also just realised your remission date 29/11/12 is the same as mine! How Crazzyyyy!
      xxx

      Delete
  2. Hi Rachel - I was hoping to get in touch with you. Can you email me at lauren.mackay@bbc.co.uk ? Would love to speak to you about a potential radio appearance. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE ULTIMATE RANT

Its Chemo Time

So This Is a lil Bit Hard To Write...