The Hickman Line

I cannot tell a word of a lie. Ouch. This hurt.

A Hickman line is a tube that goes into the main blood vessel above the heart. The central line is tunnelled under the skin of your chest and into the vein. Here is a picture to give you a better idea. 
The central line can be used for my chemotherapy, blood transfusions, antibiotics and intravenous (IV) fluids. It may sound like something that you wouldn't want, and although the procedure (for me) was not a pleasant experience, the outcome is much more convenient. It means that I no longer have to be jabbed at with needles. I have very bad veins which makes it so much more difficult.

The procedure consists of two local anesthetics in the neck and chest area. A surgical sheet over my head, mainly to make it more sterile, but it also means I didn't have to watch them cut, dig and pull at my skin, oh yeah and those stitches! It took 30 minutes overall. The slight problem that occurred was the pain about 3/4 of the way through. Some people get general anaesthetics for this, meaning that they are completely conked out and don't have a clue whats going on. I was wide awake, chatting away about T in the Park, when I felt some sudden pushing and fiddling on my neck. This was because the tube was too big for my veins so it meant they had squeeze it in.
 "Rachel, we are really sorry but this is going to hurt"....
"WHAT!?"
 *ouch ouch, cry, ouch, ouch*
"Are you finished yet?"
"No we are very sorry, this is going to be the worst part now."
BUT, apart from that, all is well. The nurses and doctors were lovely and played me a bit of Kelly Rowland "When Love Takes Over" throughout. Ive been given painkillers and its no sore anymore, just a bit uncomfortable.


Highlight of my day was getting wheeled about in a hospital gown, yes WHEELED. I felt seriously embarrassed, because obviously my legs are well and working, but it's something that must be done apparently. So, I thought, lets make this even more embarrassing than it should be. 


The gown, plus the push seat, plus the slippers, got the what seemed like the whole hospital talking en route. 

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me, I have nothing better to do as I am bed bound for the next month. Also, if you are in the area feel free to visit me but you can't come if you have any common illnesses e.g. the cold, the flu, tummy bugs or any other contagious aliments, please stay away I don't need your nasties!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Its Chemo Time

THE ULTIMATE RANT

So This Is a lil Bit Hard To Write...